India - Advanced materials overview
- In 2019 according to the Scimago Journal and Country Rank, India is ranked 3rd out of 166 countries for the research of material sciences and advancements.
Policies and Initiatives
- Impacting Research Innovation and Technology (IMPRINT) is a program developed by the former Ministry of Human Resources Development (now Ministry of Education India) supporting the Pan-IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) + IISc (Indian Institute of Science) joint initiative to address the major science and engineering challenges that India is facing. Advanced materials is a sector highlighted under IMPRINT.
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre falls under the aegis of Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India and focuses on hi-tech and advanced materials.
Matters related to Advanced Materials can be legislated by both the central government and the state governments in India. The Ministry of Science and Technology is the apex executive body responsible for policies and initiatives related to advanced materials in India. The ministry operates under three main departments:
- Department of Science & Technology (DST)
- Department of Biotechnology (DBT)
- Department of Scientific & Industrial Research (DSIR) / Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)