Indian Ocean Research Group (IORG)
Specialised research institution
(30/08/2021- Excerpt from institution website)
The key objective of the Indian Ocean Research Group Inc. (IORG) is to initiate a policy-oriented dialogue, in the true spirit of partnership, among governments, industries, NGOs and communities, towards realizing a shared, peaceful, stable and prosperous future for the Indian Ocean region.
IORG Inc. has seven principal objectives:
- To encourage research on geopolitical, economic, socio-cultural, environmental, scientific and technological issues relevant to the Indian Ocean Region.
- To promote dialogue on the peaceful uses and ecologically sustainable development of maritime resources based on the principle of Common Heritage.
- To foster interstate cooperation in the sustainable management of ocean resources and the peaceful resolution of maritime disputes.
- To ensure a holistic discourse on the human and environmental security of the Region among its states, peoples and communities.
- To contribute to an understanding of the causes as well as the effects of a wide range of non-traditional regional security threats.
- To facilitate information flow and discussion on international maritime regimes and the rights of states and local communities representing the Indian Ocean Region.
- To initiate informed policy debate among governments, NGOs, business groups, academics, and other stakeholders in the Indian Ocean Region on issues of common concern.
Other Indian Ocean Research Group (IORG) links
Want to contribute or amend this page?
Found an inaccuracy, something out of date, or want to add something you think is important to understanding Indian Ocean Research Group (IORG)?
Add your knowledge by contacting us and requesting a page update.